Last week, a lawyer, Charles Ogboli, who claimed to represent former first lady Patience Jonathan, appeared on a Channels Television interview.
Mr. Ogboli defended Mrs. Jonathan’s actions in the controversial $26 million she has claimed to be hers.
While Mr. Ogboli said in the Friday interview that he is a counsel to Mrs. Jonathan, another attorney known with the Jonathans, Granville Abibo, in a telephone interview on Sunday told PREMIUM TIMES that Mr. Ogboli does not represent the first lady.
In the interview, Mr. Ogboli said the former first lady did no wrong and was truly the owner of the funds.
PREMIUM TIMES’s Samuel Ogundipe transcribed the interview.
Read Mr. Ogboli’s full interview below
Channels: Can you tell us what is going on with the First Lady’s case with the EFCC?
What is going on is worrisome in the sense that the stories on the pages of the newspaper are not true reflections of the story, there’s no personal knowledge of fact.
The information EFCC is circulating is (not) the true picture of what really happened. Being an anti-corruption activist, I am against anything that has to do with corruption. I believe it’s my duty to fight for an innocent person either by intimidation or by witch-hunting.
Now, the story is all this. The first lady, sometimes in 2013, she wanted to travel out of the country for medical attention. She called on the Mr. Dudafa. She told him she intended to travel with physical cash. Dudafa now said he wanted to get clarification from the EFCC if it was possible to travel with cash.
Channels: That was while she was still first lady?
Yes. Then she contacted EFCC top officials and they advised that she should open an